It’s unlikely for a Go-player to not know who Shusaku was (especially since Hikaru no Go). So for everyone that lived in a dark cave, behind the moon with his eyes closed and his ears shut, here’s the deal:
Honinbo Shusaku (本因坊秀策 Hon’inbō Shūsaku, 1829-62) is considered by many to be the greatest player of the golden era of Go in the mid-19th century. He was nicknamed Invincible Shusaku because of his perfect score of 19 successive wins in the annual castle games
~ Incincible, the games of Shusaku
Now the Romanian Shusaku Go Club is organizing a tournament honoring his heroics. The tournament will take place in Targu Mures City [RO] during 2 days (28. & 29. march). The long list of registered players includes well-known names such as Catalin Taranu [5p], Pop Cristian [7d], Cho Seok-Bin [7d], Cornel Burzo [7d], Pal Balogh [6d] and many more. Below you find some additional details on the event.
- Date: 28th & 29th march 2009
- Place: Targu Mures City [RO]
- Transport & Accomodation: >> click <<
- Registered Players || Register
- Fee: none as long as you register before february 28th. Afterwards there’s a registration fee of 10 €
- Prizes: 1st – Original Kaya Goban (+ 800 €), 2nd – Go Set (+ 400 €), 3rd – Go Set (+ 200 €) >> click <<
- Ruleset: MacMahon, 6 rounds / 60 min + 10 moves/ 5 min or byo yomi 3/30 sec per move. Komi 6.5
UPDATE: There was a little misunderstanding with the prizes. As Balazs Arpad corrected (thanks at this point), the prizes are the items with an additional prize-money (the information has now been corrected in the list).